The following summarizes the reports, discussions and actions from the Stated Meeting of the Session of Calvary Presbyterian Church that was held on Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
Clerk’s Report: Session approved the Minutes of the April 2018 Session meeting. Five baptisms were approved. Membership as of end April 2018 = 898.
Session heard Statements of Faith and welcomed 5 new members into the congregation: Ruth Chiu, Siao Linn Green, Peter Pomeroy, Carolyn Reibel, and Bethany Saperstein.
We welcomed Rev. Cal Chinn on his first day as the Transitional Pastor and Head of Staff for Calvary.
Robin Morjikian reported that the 2018 Giving Campaign officially ended on April 15, with $1,191,500 pledged against the goal of $1.3M. We will continue to gladly accept pledges throughout the year. The Giving Ministry Team co-chairs, Greg Hausler and Marion Stanton, presented a Gift Acceptance Policy, approved by Session, which includes gift acceptance practices for pledge (unrestricted) and restricted contributions.
Session had a lengthy and difficult discussion of expense reductions needed to trim $175,000 from the 2018 budget in order to achieve the 2018 budgeted deficit of $515,000. The letter to the Congregation explaining these budget reductions can be found here: May 2018 Communication from Session. Session will convene a special meeting later in May to discuss longer term plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the deficit.
Anne Grawemeyer and Kathie Cheatham have agreed to serve as Co-Project Managers of the Mission Study. Presbytery approval of the Mission Study is required before a Pastor Nominating Committee can begin work on the search for a Senior Pastor/Head of Staff.
MISSION TEAM REPORTS:
Education & Spiritual Formation – Adults (Kathy Bear, chair)
- Calvary member and retired physics professor Dr. Derek Pursey led a captivating 4-part series on “God, Science and Creation”
Education – Children’s Ministries, (Laura Co, chair)
- April average attendance in programs: Playgroup 105, Sunday Studio 30
- Planning is underway for City Camp at Calvary, which will be held 6/18-22
- Held a Rooftop Potluck on 4/22, with 10 children and 13 adults attending
Faith in Action (Scott Nagelson and Betsy Dodd, co- chairs)
- Updates on Poverty Partner and other FIA teams:
- New Door Ventures – Jane Bryson – 5/22 is the Resume Workshop; a number of new Calvary volunteers signed up at last coffee hour
- Boys and Girls Club – Emi Alexander/Joni Lachman – Calvary Young Adults are volunteering at Tenderloin Club; B&G kids are helping with upcoming Pack-a-Sack; Calvary Seniors will help with a Spelling Bee in June
- SF Achievers – Betsy Dodd – 2 upcoming receptions to meet the new Executive Director Duane Wilson; 5/13 a SFA mentee is speaking at Calvary; SFA Gala is 10/10
- International Mission and Sanctuary Refugee Assistance – Stephanie Gee – holding a Q&A on Sanctuary on 4/26 at 9 am; evaluating adult mission trip opportunities around Sanctuary and Immigration opportunities
- Upcoming events:
- 4/29 Pack-a-Sack
- 5/23 – Interfaith Ramadan dinner
- 5/23 – SF Achievers Awards Ceremony
Fellowship – Adults (Kathie Cheatham, chair)
- Women’s Bible Study, led by Rev. Joann Lee, concluded the 2017/2018 study of Hebrews and the Cloud of Witnesses
- Marion Stanton organized a bus trip for Calvary Seniors on 4/24 to tour the Luther Burbank Home and Gardens in Santa Rosa, followed by lunch at the historic Marshall House
- Upcoming events:
- 5/19 – Tiburon Sunset Cruise on SF Bay
- 6/3 – Calvary’s annual All-Church Lunch, with Ruth Ellen Miller serving as chef
- 6/23 – Giants game vs. San Diego Padres at 1:05 pm in AT&T Park
Worship & Music (Jennifer Miller, chair)
- Dave Scott and his wife have decided to leave the Bay Area and will be moving sometime in June. The W&M team is planning to recognize him for his many contributions to Calvary over the years.
- The W&M team expressed strong appreciation to the staff for their efforts in keeping the Holy Week services fresh and inspiring. All services from Palm Sunday through Easter were well attended.
Board of Deacons (Sarah Anderson and Alan Thomas, co-moderators)
- Numerous concerns and celebrations were raised
- Thank you to all Deacons who delivered Easter lilies
- Deacons Brian Gauck and Sarah Karanian said they were amazed and proud of their children’s participation in the Palm Sunday Jesus Christ Superstar rendition
- Cynthia Parsons is coordinating final plans for Deacon Sunday, scheduled for 4/22
Lois Dress, Clerk of Session